Saturday, June 2, 2007

8th Grade Formal 2007

What a night! It wasn't exactly what I had imagined, but it was fun nonetheless. A rather minimal amount of drama, which is always a plus. To think that that was our last dance in Middle School =( The decorations were sweet, and everyone looked incredible, but none so amazing as the four bombshells that arrived straight from the McClelland Manor =) The 8 hours spent on getting ready were well worth the memories, amazing hair, and lack of school. There were many hot, sweaty 8th graders mashed together with eardrum-bursting loud music and formal attire: it made for a memorable night. And in the morning, it was NYSSMA full speed ahead. I arrived at 10:45, just in time for my brother to warm up and make his 10:55 time. He was very confident and did well: 25/28. We had some time in between (me, my mom, and my brother) so we took a trip to Woodbury Commons to look for a gift for a party my sister is going to tomorrow. So we went to the Swarovski crystal store. For those of you who have never been, it is an alternate reality. There are sweet little buildings, each housing extremely high-end stores (i.e. Dooney and Bourke, Jimmy Choo, Godiva chocolate, Dolce and Gabbana, you get the idea) This Swarovski crystal place had crystals the size of footballs. Everything shined. Then we went to Chanel, which was a slap in the face. The dress on display, hand-made and adorned with gems, it was priced at $26,665.00. And there were people in the store.....buying stuff!!! It was crazy. I think the least expensive item in there were shorts for like $250. Then we went back to Monroe-Woodbury high school at 12:15. Eric didn't come, so I went at 12:40 (I was supposed to go at 12:50) The judge was young and kind, a good combination. I actually wasn't terribly mervous. My scales went well, my solo went well, my sight-reading bombed. But I came out with a smile, and waited for the results. Meanwhile, in the practice room, I met up with a lot of musicians (Elise, Molly, Emily, Julia, Cate etc.) and read Animal Farm (great book) All we had to do now was wait for my sister to go at 2:15. In the interim, Mr. Muelbauer nicely brought me my score. I got a 24/28 (excellent), and some mixed comments. I liked the good ones! Once my sister went, we left. Everyone was hungry, but we did some shopping, then went to Wendy's while the brief thunderstorm raged around us. On the way home, I fell asleep to Billy Joel, and we got home at about 6:40. A long day, which the heat did not help. So its nice to have the off my shoulders. And I am still reveling in formal memories.

0 comments: