Tuesday, August 28, 2007

It's Rough

It's so hard to live day in and day out as a teenager. And society just pushes us aside with the non-understanding attitude that we choose to be as difficult, moody, ever-changing and conforming as we are. But as much as it can be controlled, the teenage mind often forcefully overpower the rational mind, and you are left with an alien, often lost soul. Society constantly builds us up and breaks us down, and as much as there are hundreds of scientific studies on the teenage years, there are just as many stubborn, old-fashioned adults who dismiss teenagers as troublesome semi-adults, when really all we could really use is some guidance. And I admit, we don't always receive guidance with open arms, but at least give us the courtesy to listen when we speak. Most adults today have the mind-set that if you ignore the teenage years, they'll grow out of it. But that's a cold-hearted way to view our age group. We're not all out to make trouble. And I know I want someone, a trusted adult, to give me a word of advice, and I'm fortunate to have many. But as many positive things I have to say about my adult role models, we all know that parents sometimes leave you hanging when you need them most. Or worse, they just don't understand, to put it simply. I'm sure that nothing of the above ramble would be understood by the general public. It's just a moody release after all. But when I'm trying to hold to my standards as well as interact with my peers, plus excersise good judement, know who to trust,and balance friend and family time, I just hope that adults, who seem to provide the best guidance, will keep their minds clear, their ears opened and their hearts compassionate. I want to know whats best, but sometimes, I just need to figure out my own mind first. And I know thats a tall order for adults to carry out all the time, which translates into: there's no easy way out of this. And being a teenager takes understanding, adults to hold you to your standards, and love and undestanding from both the adults and the "scary" teenagers. I know I'm still working on it, and luckily, I've got a good support network. I know there will be times when I'm completely lost. But it won't last forever and everyone will just have to try to understand each other.

2 comments:

NerdFest said...

Wow, that's powerful and moving. Absolutely beautifully written.

What gets to me is when a parent or any adult says to you "I know what you're thinking, I've been there and done that," because most of the time they are clueless at what you're thinking. You may be their child, but you are not their clone.

Kerianne said...

that was perfect and i love you. it makes perfect sense. very nice, my dear.