Saturday, November 29, 2008

And truth be told, I'm lying

hey everyone!

You know how there are points in your life when you realize something you've always known? Well, today was one of those days. the realization: we're all growing up. There are lessons to learned, situations to be experienced and responsibilities to be met. I've never wanted to grow up. I still don't. Because my idea of growing up is growing old, being weighed down by responsibility, not enjoying life, getting depressed. But I am determined to not get that way. After all, when you think of all the experiences we have ahead of us, how can you not be excited? My mom and I had a long and surprisingly productive conversation about college. Kinda mapping out my next two years in high school, without loading on the pressure. And a lot of things became clearer, in terms of how I want to execute my passions, whatever those passions may be. It's important to remember that we can do and be whatever we want to be. I know that's annoyingly cliche and you've heard it a million times, but it really is true. There's nothing holding any of us back. For those of you that have Ms. Insinger, the discussion about destiny really got me thinking. And after hearing story upon story of people of destitute backgrounds and severely limited means overcoming all obstacles and becoming not only successful, but happy, I believe even more firmly that the individual creates their own destiny. There is no guiding force that determines our future. That is up to us. I believe in God. Really, I do. Incredibly strongly. But it was He who gave us free will. For me, free will translates into us determining what we're going to do with what we're given. Going on that principle, an individual can accomplish whatever they put their mind to. That's truly inspiring to me.

I cannot predict what I will be doing 10 years from now. And I love it that way. All I know is that no matter how physically old I become, I will always be young at heart, and in spirit. And that's enough for me. Now I just can't wait to accomplish whatever I decide to accomplish. And yes, I will be the one deciding.


1) good music
2) fireplaces
3) tea
4) dark skies
5) poetry

2 comments:

MarcoPolumbo said...

My mother and I had a very long college talk the other day and she got kinda teary eyed. I felt so bad! We're all growing so quickly...how I'd love to make it into Columbia U.

Willa said...

I'd like to point out ONE flaw in what you posted.....the depressed thing. Cause baby, you don't have to be old to be depressed.
I'd know. :)

Anyways, you're as inspiring as ever, and I love you, and I know you'll do great things.

Did this post happen to occur while i was texting you? haha. I seem to remember hearing "we;re growing up"