Friday, August 29, 2008

The world is led not by the example of our power, but by the power of our example

(loosely translated excerpt from former president Bill Clinton's speech)

For young Americans, for any Americans that is, to say that they are not interested in politics, that they don't want to get involved in politics, radiates laziness, and fear of controversy. It's not a question about choosing a party, whether that be the republican party, the democratic party, or my personal favorite, the green party. It is a question about being informed. And watching the Democratic National Convention, I felt just that. Our country is so far from perfect, it sometimes seems silly to think that we will ever be reformed and respected as we once were. And I am not one who puts all my hope in Barack Obama. That's like putting one battery in a device that needs 8 and hoping it will work. But I do have hope.

I still stand firm in my belief that Hilary Clinton would have make an excellent president. Nevertheless, Obama did make quite an impression with his speech on Thursday night. And along with other speakers, his VP Joe Biden included, the party made a statement. Sure there were cliches, mudslinging, and over-used statements that go hand in hand with politics. But overall, the excitement of the night made for some good old fashioned American pride.

2 comments:

MarcoPolumbo said...

What an amazing speech, but it's important to remember, talking is only half of it. Last night millions of Americans, be it from Red or from Blue sides of the country, were united. It's going to take a lot more than a certain Barack to fix this country, and at that, it will always be far from perfect. Tonight, I have hope.

MarcoPolumbo said...

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.

I just found that. Why did we think that was so hilarious? Hahah